A healthy & quick lunch is as easy as this
With the right tools in place and a little preparation ahead, you’ll be able to throw together a delicious meal within minutes whether you’re on the go or eating at home. This is just one example, but here’s the basic set up:
- fresh greens and/ or sliced veggies
- cooked veggies and/or cooked meat or grains
- lacto-fermented veggies
- nuts or seeds
The Garlicky Roasted Roots in this case took a while to roast, but I prepared them along with the dressing in advance. Both tasks take very little time or effort. The dressing can be whipped up in a few minutes using a professional grade blender and the roots practically cook themselves if you use a mandoline or food processor to do the chopping. Both of these tools are essential if you’re like me, and dread to chop, as much as you love to cook. If you plan to prep veggies with any frequency, one or both of these is a must.
6 Steps to A Great Meal
- Over the weekend use mandoline to quickly slice up a bunch of root veggies for roasting. Once cooled, I placed them in a glass container to store and refrigerate for the week’s meals. Get the recipe here>
- To make the salad rinse some fresh greens (mustard greens pictured in the above salad), then give them a spin to dry. Chop them up with a sharp as a blade can be Victorinox. Store the remaining greens in the salad spinner.
- Dress the greens with this delicious Cilantro Dip.
- Add some paper thin mandoline sliced daikon radish, or other veggie like beet or carrot.
- Top the lot with the cold or reheated roasted roots.
- Lastly, garnish the salad with some raw walnuts and hemp oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
This lunch does not need refrigeration if you’re on the go or headed to work, or preferably a leisurely picnic. If you’re eating at home, reheat the roots in some Ghee or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and place over the raw ingredients for a slightly wilted salad.
Viola! This hearty salad can be ready to eat in just minutes with a little advance prep. Good for the body, tasty going down!