Garlic Scape Season Is Here
Depending on the climate were you live, these potently garlicky stalks are either at the tail end of their season or coming very soon. Be prepared to give them a try when you spot them at your local farmers’ market, because once they arrive late in spring or early summer, the season is only a few weeks long.
I’ve most commonly seen garlic scapes served roasted or sautéed in restaurants, but they make a for a robustly garlicky pesto. This pesto recipe made with fresh garlic scapes can be made with or without the addition of Parmesan cheese. If you’re vegan, simply add more Lima beans to the recipe and viola! You’ve got yourself dairy-free pesto. For cheese lovers, Lima beans can be omitted but I recommend including them, as they add an extra layer of creaminess and help to cut the sharp garlic flavor.
Brighten your favorite sandwiches and pasta dishes with this robust pesto. It’s especially nice over fried Halloumi cheese and eggs, with Homemade Pickles!
Tools & Pantry Shopping List
All you need to make this dip is a basic food processor or high quality blender.
All you need in the way of staples is salt, pepper and good EVOO. Here’s what might be useful if you’re looking to stock up on good salt, pepper, and chips to dip with or if you’d like to upgrade your kitchen tools.
- Cuisinart 11-Cup Food Processor
- Vitamix 5200
- Opinel Multi-Purpose Chef’s Kitchen Knife
- Siete Sea Salt Grain Free Tortilla Chips – much cheaper in store, but if you’re in a pinch…
- Spicely Organic Peppercorn Sichuan – Gluten Free – NON GMO – Vegan – Kosher
Easy discounted Thrive Market shopping
- Siete Sea Salt Grain Free Tortilla Chips – cheaper on Thrive… you will never go back to corn chips!
- Selina Naturally Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt – such a good deal at 1lb for $3.65!
- Primordial Himalayan Sea Salt
- Redmond’s Real Salt, Sea Salt (a very affordable option for mineral rich sea salt)
- VitamixBlack Reconditioned 5300 Blender Just $379!
- Blendtec Wildside (buy direct from Blendtec for the best promo deals!)
- Blendtec TB-621-25 Total Blender Classic with WildSide Jar (Refurbished) Just $239!
- Cuisinart 11-cup Elite Collection Food Processor Eleven cups for just $138!