This is a must read for anyone suffering from an eating disorder.
Nourishing Traditions will help silence those tortured thoughts that make you feel like a bad person every time you stray from eating a salad. This practical and entertaining guide to a food philosophy that is both nutritious and delicious contains a startling message for those of us who shake in our boots at the thought of full-fat:
Animal fats and cholesterol are not villains but vital factors in diet.
Based on the extensive research of Dr. Weston A. Price, Sally Fallon dispels the myths of the undying low-fat fad. At the turn of the 20th century Dr. Price studied villages and tribes who ate diets untouched by industrialization. These traditional communities and tribes throughout the world had exceptional physical and mental health. They ate widely diverging diets, but the commonalities were undeniable.
The fats & oils outlined in the book are necessary for
- Staying trim, satiated and nourished
- Proper function of the brain and nervous system
- Protection from disease and optimum energy levels
Sally Fallon and Mary Enig go over many food trend buzz terms you’ve heard about in the last few years.
Everything from sprouting methods, making kefir, fermenting vegetables, cooking bone broths, to the values of all these practices, to which fats are healthy and under what conditions. There is a full list of recipes, but I feel that the instructional and resource sections of this book are what make it a must have. No cook should be without it!
Nourishing Traditions will tell you
- Why your body needs old fashioned animal fats
- Why butter is a health food
- How saturated fats protect the heart
- Pros and cons of milk consumption
- Problems with modern soy foods
- How rich sauces help you digest and assimilate your food
- Why grains and legumes need special preparation to provide optimum benefits
- About enzyme-enhanced food and beverages that can provide increased energy and vitality
- Why high-fiber, lowfat diets can cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies
- Appropriate diets for babies and children
This book is an indispensable resource for anyone looking to restore their health after a lifetime of eating processed foods, or any cook interested in traditional food preparation.
Price: $15.65 Buy It: Amazon